Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pie!

I believe this is my second post about a good-looking pie made by me.  I'm sorry if you're pie-intolerant.  The story here, is that I made a delicious and beautiful pie.



I have a no-fail pie crust recipe that hasn't failed yet.  I can my own apple-pie filling.  I make a no-fail pie crust, I dump the homemade filling in, I sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar and voila!  Instant deliciosity!


I have always loved pie, and I'm beginning to believe that pie loves me.


No-Fail Pie Crust

2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. shortening
1 t. salt
1 egg
1 T. vinegar
cold water

Mix flour, shortening, and salt.  Break egg into a liquid cup measure, add vinegar and enough water to make 1/2 cup.  Beat well.  Add to flour mixture, toss with a fork and gather into a ball.  Divide in two.  Roll out each half to form one 9-inch pie crust. (Wibnote:  I roll dough in between two pieces of wax paper.  Peel off the top one, flip the whole thing onto the pie plate, and peel off the other paper.) Bake at 400 for 10 minutes if needed.  (Wibnote:  don't bake it for an apple pie.  Wait for the filling.)

Apple Pie Filling

About 5 lbs. of tart apples (Wibnote:  MORE!)
10 cups water
4 1/2 c. sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
1 c. cornstarch

Peel and slice enough apples to fill 7 quart jars.  Pack the jars to within 1/2 inch of rim.  In a pot, combine 9 cups water, sugar, and spices.  Place on the stove over high heat.  Dissolve the cornstarch in 1 c. water and add it to the filling.  Stir until mixture thickens.  Ladle hot filling over the apples until the liquid level is at 1/2 inch from the rim.  Using a knife, probe down into the jar and release air bubbles.  Top off the jar with additional filling if the level falls below 1/2 inch from rim.  Clean the jar rim and seal jar.  Process in canner for 20 minutes.  Makes 7 quarts. (Wibnote:  This is from the internet, I assume.  I got it from my sister in law, Becca.)

One recipe of pie crust makes one apple pie. The more cinnamon-sugar, the better.  Don't forget slits for the steam!  Bake at 425 for about 40 minutes.  I have one of those pie-crust shields from P-Chef, but I never have to use it.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I can vouch for your apple pie. I think it is delicious, and I normally do not like fruit pies!