Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 19th

Planned breakfast: Oatmeal. Yeah, well, I haven't sat down and made the packets up yet, plus Seth said an unprovoked comment about how much he likes the Bob's RedMill hot cereal, so I made that instead. It was the apple-cinnamon variety. It didn't all get eaten, but that was mostly Russell's fault; there was no whining, I'm pleased to report.

Dinner: Chicken and Fruit Salad Pockets. Trying new recipes. Thank you, Narda Dudley (her real name). This one turned out to be really delicious, especially since I left out the celery. Nothing ruins really delicious chicken salad for me like celery.

Salad mixture:

3 c. chopped cooked chicken
3/4 c. seedless grapes, cut in half
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. slivered almonds, toasted (I forgot to toast them and it was still good)
11 oz. can mandarin orange segments, drained

Dressing:

2 1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 c. low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 c. light mayonnaise
1 T. vinegar

Combine chicken, grapes, celery (bleah), almonds, and oranges. Mix sugar, salt, pepper, yogurt, mayonnaise, and vinegar for dressing. Pour dressing over salad mixture; toss gently. Serve in 6 pita pockets, cut in half.

I used sour cream instead of the yogurt, because that's what we had. I also used full-strength mayonnaise. Again, Narda Dudley, I thank you for this recipe.

No comments: