Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why am I not a Professional Seamstress?!!


So I borrowed this fabulous apron pattern from Seth's Aunt Emma. (Thanks, Emma! You rule!) All artwork and the pattern, copyright 1952 by the Simplicity Pattern Company, wink wink. Anyway, I'm doing view #1, the reddish one, so I copied off all the pattern pieces to tissue paper, so's not to bungle up the originals. Then I laid them out and cut out the pieces. I know, I know, you're supposed to read through the whole thing before you start, so you know where this is going, right? Anyway, I got everything cut out and then went back in to read the instructions on what to do next, because I'm used to modern patterns for the ignorant, and here comes all this jibberish on the pattern about transferring notches and other identification marks, stitching stay lines on the bias or off-grain edges, and clipping enclosed seams and that's it!! There's no, "take piece A and match notches up to notches on piece F" or anything. I was just reading and reading, waiting for the thing to tell me how to put it together and feeling more and more ignorant and inept. Except that, that's all there is. It has stuff on how to finish the seams, once you get the pocket facing on, with bias fold tape, and how to reinforce the inside corners, and all this, but it never says HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER. I sat there with all these miscellaneous pieces I had cut out, turning them this way and that, trying to match them up to pieces I could identify from the picture, and I came up with NOT MUCH. I actually shed a tear. A single, perfect tear slid down my hot cheek, just like I was in a teen romance novel. That's when I knew I had to put the whole dang thing down until I go down to "the Valley" and let Emma help me put it together. She got it at a garage sale, and she hasn't made it yet, but she's a way better dressmaker than me. In the end, I felt really defeated. I mean, usually I see stuff, start doing it, mess up a little, learn the right way to do it, and end up with something so great. I still may end up with something so great, but not until I physically take this to someone for help. The stinkin' notches don't match up to each other, so I don't feel like this is my fault at all!!!!!!! But I still feel inept.

1 comment:

jess said...

that's awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems, I know it will be amazing and then you'll make a ton of super cute ones, or is that just with socks?