Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More and Better Carrots This Year

Last year we had six or eight measly, miniature carrot-type plants. This year, with the help of my Vegetable Gardener's Bible, I had a bumper crop of humongous carrots, with thick, lushy greens. I tilled my soil deep, like 12-15 inches deep. I added compost and manure to the soil. I threw the seeds down on the soil all over the wide row and covered them with a board until they started sprouting. Then I took off the board and let 'er rip. They really stepped up and grew like crazy. I came back from my quilt retreat (more info on that later) and 90% of the carrots were ready to harvest RIGHT NOW, so I had to bring them in. Some I used right away, some I dehydrated, some I cooked into baby food for Scotty. Some are still in the fridge drawer, I think.

Anyway, following the advice of a real gardener produces real results. I need a different variety next year. These were all super fatty and a tad stumpy, which is what they were supposed to be, but I prefer a slightly more slender carrot.

2 comments:

jess said...

Come help me do my garden next year please!

Shalyse said...

This is an AWESOME bunch of carrots! I remember your posting of carrots last time that were all tiny. Well, that's how ours turned out from trying to grow them in the clay at the Big House. They are still in the ground, and I am hoping they'll get a little bigger.