Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mr. Moneybags

Sometimes, almost by accident, I make something super awesome.  This happened at least once this summer.  I made this really professional, upscale money bag for my brother-in-law Jason.

My sister Dorothy and I were always saying how hilarious it would be if Jason brought the money back and forth to Baskin Robbins in a money bag that looked like your classic cartoons, instead of just the envelope-shaped one from the bank.  Boring!  Usually masked bandits are running out of banks carrying these in the classic cartoons.  We were always saying we should make it!  Let's just make him one!

This year I decided to DO IT! because I didn't have a better birthday gift in mind.  I gathered supplies I already had:  suede leather scraps, canvas scraps (hey, Kandra!), and some green fuzzy fabric scraps.  I printed the dollar sign off the computer and traced it to get the dollar sign just perfect.



I made it the dimensions that would make the best use of the suede.  I wasn't sure how to do the drawstring, so I decided to use the leftover scraps of suede for little tabs, which turned out to be inspired.  Had I created a whole sleeve for the drawstring, it would have been stiff like crazy and a little bit super-lame.




I stuffed it with Walmart bags (irony, anyone?) to show off the great money-lugging capacity.



You have to put a six-year-old kid in there for perspective.  You can see that the man who could fill THIS bag with money, really would be Mr. Moneybags. 

May you be blessed with enough to fill this sack and more, Jason!