Monday, February 8, 2010

January 27th

Breakfast: Chili Egg Casserole. I had this at the Visiting Teaching Brunch thinger and it was so good I kept eating it when the event was over and the ladies were leaving. I made a full batch for General Conference weekend, but the children balked at it and I was left eating it for a long time afterward. This time I only made a half-batch, and I blended up the chilis so they were unrecognizable. Scott and Seth both appreciate it as much as I do.

10 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
16 oz. cottage cheese
16 oz. shredded Jack cheese
1/2 c. melted butter (cooled)
8 oz. diced green chilies

Beat eggs until smooth and lemon-colored. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cottage cheese, jack cheese, and butter. Blend until smooth, stir in chilies. Bake in a greased 9X13 pan at 350 for one hour. I would probably use less butter next time... so the half batch is only 5 eggs, 1/4 cup flour, and etc., and cooked in a greased 8X8 pan.

Dinner: Kraft Parmesan Chicken and roasted vegetables. Well, I cheated and did chicken nuggets instead of the Parmesan chicken. The children ate those, and then Seth and I had leftover Restaurant chicken with the roasted vegetables. I roasted carrots, cauliflower, and potatoes. They come out so crisp-a-licious and salt-and-peppery.

Heat oven to 450. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Toss 1 lb. vegetables with 2 tsp. olive oil and 1/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper in pan. Roast for 20 minutes the following: potatoes, fennel slices, carrots, halved brussels sprouts. Roast for 15 minutes the following: cubed, peeled butternut squash, red pepper strips, cauliflower florets. Roast for 10 minutes: asparagus, red onion wedges, zucchini slices. Except that I just put the cauliflower in at the same time as the potatoes and carrots. And I use olive oil. And these are so delicious. The only thing that keeps me from eating a whole trays-worth is the threat of Southerly Winds, if you catch my meaning.

No comments: