Sunday, January 25, 2009

Like a Baby

There's something I've been noticing about babies for the last nearly eight weeks since Scotty was born. Babies don't defer to anyone for anything. They know they have a need and they do everything they can to fill it. They find comfort and they do all that they can to keep it. They say something when things aren't right for them. They demand that their needs are met and don't apologize when their needs are met. They don't gloat either.

Scotty for example, says, "eahh..." when he's uncomfortable. We come and put our hand on his tummy and this calms and comforts him. Without thinking, he uses his little mini fists to lasso your hand to his tummy, because it's something he needs and he wants to keep it. When he's hungry, he calls out for food. You give him his lunch and he gloms right on to that, without apologizing, and then gets what he needs and falls asleep. He's unashamed to eat, because that's what he needs.

I'm not sure I'm expressing correctly the idea that I want to share. We need to be like babies. Instead of deferring to others, we should have our needs met unashamedly. I need a hug. I should call over a child or husband or friend and hug that person. There's no shame in being human. Sometimes I make scrambled eggs for breakfast and there's not enough for everyone to have all they want, so I hang back and let my family eat them all. But I love scrambled eggs, with salt and pepper, mmm, that's so tasty. Why don't I just step in and take me a reasonable-size portion, because that's what I need, and there's enough for all. Others needn't be gluttons because I'm trying to be polite. When I'm sleepy, so sleepy I can barely think, why should I stay awake watching a show to be polite? I should say, I'm too sleepy. I need to get comfy in my bed. Why would I not? Where is the glory in being a martyr every second of the day? When something is comfy or not comfy, needed or not wanted, I think we should be like babies and just claim the right to have our needs met reasonably and be calm and happy when they are and not be guilty or ashamed and definitely not gloaty or self-righteous.

No comments: