Thursday, April 9, 2009

To the Chunky Girl in New York

Dear Chunky Girl,

Remember that, in the summer of what? 1982? 83? when we were both enrolled in that free-ish summer program at Colton elementary school? and my two big brothers were there also, and my little sister? Remember that? Well, do you remember the time you brought your boom box and while we were waiting for the doors to open, you played "Beat It" by Michael Jackson? Remember that? That was awesome.

At the time I didn't realize the song was by the King of Pop. But I did realize that it sounded REALLY COOL. That bonging and bomb-dropping at the beginning of the song caught my interest so that forever after that I thought of you and how cool that song was that you played for us doofy little nerd kids.

Several years ago my awesome husband Seth got me the album "Thriller" for Christmas. And when I got my ipod I ripped it onto there. And I would hardly ever listen to it. And then a couple weeks ago I got a Jones SO STRONG to listen to it, that I had to start it up RIGHT THEN. Chunky Girl, I still LOVE THIS SONG. Also, Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something and Thriller. In fact, I just created a new playlist on my ipod called Super Dance Favorites just for these songs. Also I put in Boogie Shoes and Saturday Night Fever.

So, Thank You, Chunky Girl. You opened up a fabulous musical realm for me, even though I didn't really enter that realm until 25 years later. Nerd, remember? Here's hopin' you're still rockin' out, Chunky Girl in New York.

Rock On!
Elizabeth

No comments: