Friday, October 10, 2008

I HAVE Read Something Good Lately

I saw on the list of 100 books Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne. You know, it's funny. I'm 30 some-odd years old and I never actualy realized there was a real official book. I should have. It's totally obvous. It had to come from somewhere, plus my sister-in-law Jodi was sending me quotes from it on my mission. My thing is, I don't know whether to let myself like Winnie the Pooh, because it's been so adulterated over the last 80 years. Plus the characters and stories have been totally raped since they've been bought by Disney. "Classic Pooh" merchandise?

So I took the children on a whim to the library, because Eric needed another Harry Potter book. And while we were there, on a whim, I looked up Winnie the Pooh, and there it was. The original book. Jules ridiculed me for checking out a Baby Book. Haha! Little does she know!

I actually really liked this book. I love the random capitalization, because I do that too. I love the cleverness and the way not everything is explained out in full detail. And most of all, I love Eeyore, and I'm about to write in my favorite quote, which I read out loud to Seth after reading it and laughing out loud.

The Old Grey Donkey, Eeyore, stood by himself in a thistly corner of the forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought,"Inasmuch as which?"--and sometimes he didnt' quite know what he was thinking about.

Classic! So, great book which I'll probably read aloud to the children sometime in the future, and too bad about it getting totally watered down and cheatinized. I actually feel the same way about Curious George. Although he's not quite as clever.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Totally agree with you about this book. I didn't discover it til I was older either. It is so hilarious! And the Disney version is so very bad. I actually discovered all kinds of so-called "children's books" when I was older that turned out to be AWESOME!

Julie said...

Here, here to Wib and Jodi's comments. The same with me. You might also enjoy When We are Six and When We were Very Young. The last one has an audio version we were given when H was a toddler. A brit reads it and it is very clever (I think).