Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Novelty-Size Cake

First of all, this picture does NOT do the cake justice.

So, ok. I went with the ladies to a restaurant called Claim Jumper after the RS broadcast on Saturday night. They had told me that the food was nothing special, but the desserts were huge and delicious. So we walked in the front door and there was this display case of dessert things, and at first glance, the desserts looked big and delicious. And then they pointed out to me the MotherLode Cake. I just started laughing and laughing and cackling. This is a cake that has six (6) full-size layers. SIX. A normal layer cake has like 2 full-size layers or else several skinny-minny layers, and they look pretty tall, like four inches tall. So picture that, times three, plus a bunch of frosting in between each layer. THE CAKE WAS LIKE OVER A FOOT TALL!!! I was instantly in heaven. And there next to it was the slice. You know in restaurants, where they serve your food on an oval-shaped platter dealy instead of a plate? That's how they serve you a slice of this cake. In the picture here, I've already eaten a layer and a half or so, which was ALL I could do before just boxing it and bringing it home to show Seth. Sweet Seth. He tolerates my love of novelties and can appreciate something catastrophically novel, but also he really likes stuff that's delicious. So I think that was the main draw for him on this cake. It really is pretty delicious.

My idea is to go back to Claim Jumper with Seth on a date. Maybe we could grab a mini-bacon cheeseburger from the Wendy's dollar menu on the way, but then the main event would be to split an enormous dessert. The one I wanted to bring home but couldn't, was the "I D'eclaire" which is an eclaire the size of a homemade loaf of bread and then with ice cream underneath it. I LOVE THIS RESTAURANT, if only for its huge, hilarious novelty-size delicious desserts.

2 comments:

jess said...

I'm totally goin to bring you some when you're in the hospital with new baby. Actually you should head out one afternoon and we could just go. Or if you want to go on a date I'll watch your kids for you.

Becca said...

I'm laughing at the I d'eclair the size of a loaf of bread. But my favorite line from this post was "something catastrophically novel."