Sunday, October 13, 2013

Favorite Transformer Names

My three little brothers wished they had Transformers back in the day.  We accidentally acquired the one that turns into a cassette tape from somewhere, and another one that wasn't as cool.  I was a teen when they were That Cool, so it wasn't my scene.  I thought GoBots was a better name, but Transformers were obviously the better product.  Not that I cared at the time.

Then I got married and gave birth to four sons.  I have had Transformers in my house for more than a decade.  My boys are insane for these.  The Classic, the Energon, Whatever the New Thing Is -- we've had them all in here.  I am thankful for my nearly 14-year-old, because when I claim transforming-incompetence, he is more than glad to step in and help his brothers transform Whoever-it-is.

I seem more flippant than I am.  I am actually pretty good at remembering their names.  I know there are a couple-a girls in the bunch.  I have transformed both the car and motorcycle ones.  So yeah, I'm that good.  I have a few favorite Transformer names, since I am involuntarily immersed in Transformer Culture.  That's the reason for this post.  And here they are:

Devastator : my big boy used to pronounce this "Demastator"
Iron Hide : that's a good name, no matter what.  If I had a little fluffy pet kitty, I might name him Iron Hide
Ultra Magnus : What?!  That name is awesome! It's ultra!
Optimus Prime : A little more contrived, but so what?  Optimus Prime! My big boy used to pronounce this "Octimus Prime"  so I always picture him having eight of something.  Mini-cons? Past lives?  Who knows.
Brimstone : super bad
Cyclonus : feels a little bit Greek.  Definitely menacing.
Megatron : a doofus evil robot guy, but great name.
Unicron : as awesome a name as it is to be a robot that's also a planet.
Ravage : name says it all
Cybertron Primus : I'm sorry, but that is the best mash-up of tech-sounding power syllables ever!


I also feel compelled to share my list of Lamest Transformer Names:

Star Scream : and the guy is just as annoying as his name
Astro Train : little boys love trains, but this one is just not cool.
Rat Trap : from Beast Wars.  Eww.
Jazz : really?  Not even going to try?
Kup : allegedly he transforms into a pickup truck

I'm sure there are more.

No comments: