Friday, December 3, 2010

Photographic Essay: Smoky Hill High Student Trash

My house is in a neighborhood that's right across the main thoroughfare from Smoky Hill High School. Then Laredo Middle School is just beyond that. I love this. As long as we're here, my children will never have to know the torment of The Bus. I had some Bad Bus Times, in middle school mainly.

So there's a lot of foot traffic through our neighborhood and past our house, with high school and middle school kids coming and going. Plus the High School has a an open campus and a weirdy three-on, one-off daily schedule, so the kids are going by pretty much all the time. Mostly they're kids that live over in Sunburst Townhomes. Bless its heart, some really great people live in Sunburst Townhomes, including the Incredible Zirker Family. But also some not-so-savory people live in there. It's a big place.

Here is my photographic essay of things left by these friends as they traipse past my home. And this is just from this morning, not including the trash I picked off the lawn yesterday and the things I've recently had to kick into the street for not wanting to touch them with my hands.

1. Random scrap of litter. Looks like a gum wrapper.





2. Straw. The kids are constantly going to 7-11 or Taco Bell and ditching their "leftovers" in public places like my sidewalk.

3. Cigarette pack. This was technically on the neighbor's lawn and I know they don't smoke... But at least the teens got their money's worth by going for the 100s.


4. Plastic baggie. This is far from the grodiest thing I've seen left by the miscreants...oops! I mean Leaders of Tomorrow!


...on looking more closely, though, you'll see why I decided to do this photographic essay.



Because I am enraged at the number of terminally ill students with chronic pain that have to walk themselves to high school! This is an outrage! Yeah. If you can't catch my feelings on "medical" marijuana, then perhaps I haven't been cynical enough here. Maybe I'll do a whole 'nother post on why medical marijuana is a farce and anyone who really thinks sick people need it real bad are lying to themselves and our state. Or maybe I just said my piece, amen.


















1 comment:

Becca said...

I am laughing! This post is great! I heard them talking on NPR all about the marijuana boutiques in Colorado and how many people have prescriptions for it and I had to wonder what percentage of the population could reasonably be expected to actually have chronic pain...because I'm pretty sure the number of prescriptions was higher than that.