Friday, August 21, 2009

Family History Moment

We had a family history moment -- back in May. Checked it out in PAF and here's my great-great grandmother's burial place, listed as Denver, Denver, Colorado. So I looked it up and it's just up the street. I've passed the cemetery many a time. Several a time, I guess is more accurate since I make it a point not to drive around if I can avoid it. She's totally got us tricked, though, and I would never have found her if not for the cemetery office. On MY family history, she's Mary Manita Clark, married to a guy named Miner. And that's NOT what's on the stone pictured above. The awesome lady in the office gave me a photocopy of the original burial record card (funeral arrangements by Horan McConaty just over by Seth's work) PLUS told us that there are two family plots available to anyone who can prove descendency..... We're not likely to jockey around and try to get those plots, since I suspect the Coughlins may be just a smidge more entitled, but Seth and I agreed that it is a fabulous cemetery, and double-bonus that it's in an area where you can have stick-up headstones. For some reason, that's important to me, to be able to have a stick-up headstone when I die.

Anyway, I have an actual official link to Denver, in addition to being married to a guy from Colorado. Maybe I'm a daughter of a Colorado Pioneer after all!

No comments: